Chronic cough disease is a common disease that is distributed between all people ages. The main causes are smoking, asthma and post nasal discharge. Let’s see.
What is chronic cough?
It is a bodily function that extends more than eight weeks with adults and four weeks with kids.
It’s very worrying and may cause complications for you if you don’t treat it rapidly.
It causes disturbance in sleeping, vomiting and rib fraction. Chronic cough disease isn’t related to any disease and it mostly doesn’t respond to treatment.
It may be symptoms of another disease such as asthma, lung disease and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
When you cough you extract foreign body or mucus that obstructs the respiratory airways.
Chronic cough symptoms
● stuffy nose (increase in nasal discharge).
● post nasal drip that means feeling liquid nasal running go back into your throat.
● infected with sore throat frequently.
● There is blood during coughing.
● coughs persist more than two months.
What are the causes of chronic cough?
There are some common causes that includes:
- Asthma (The main symptoms during asthma is cough) It is diagnosed by difficulty breathing, wheezing and shortening breathing.
- Post nasal drip also causes coughing. That occurs due to an increase in nasal discharge.
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease. Tobacco is the main cause.
- Smoking and negative effects. If you are a smoker or one of your family.
- Dust spreading and animal dandruff.
- Environmental conditions.
- Illness and respiratory airways inflammation (bronchitis).
- Angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors.
- Bronchiolitis due to infection that leads to inflammation in the tinny lung passages.
- Cystic fibrosis.
- Lung cancer.
- Upper respiratory infection that comes due Do common cold and pneumonia. In this case viruses are the main cause.
- Sinusitis that causes post nasal drip. That causes chronic coughing when it increases more than before.
- Allergies that are caused by dust and pet or animal dandruff.
Causes of chronic cough in children
- Bacterial infection
- Chronic endobronchial supportive disease.
- Bordetella pertussis infection.
- Viral infection.
Diagnosis Of Chronic cough.
Diagnosis of disease depends on many steps that start with taking history from the patient. Doctor will ask the patient some questions to limit the disease.
1- Questions as:
● When did you start coughing?
● Did you bring mucus during coughing?
● What is the color of the mucus?
● What is the consistency of the mucus?
● Did you bring bloody mucus?
● Did you live or contact any person who has the same symptoms such as flu, pneumonia or cough?
● Do you have any chronic diseases?
● Do you have any problems swallowing?
● Do you have any allergic reactions?
● Have you started any medical treatments recently?
● Did you bring new things to your home as carpet, condition or pet animals?
● Do you smoke?
2- The second step for chronic cough diagnosis is physical exam
● Doctor will examine your skin and legs.
● Measure your temperature.
● Measure your Chronic cough disease is a common disease that is distributed between all people ages. The main causes are smoking, asthma and post nasal discharge. Let’s see.
● Measure your blood pressure.
● Examine your heart and lungs by stethoscope.
● Look at your throat.
3- The third step is lab tests
Your doctor will ask you to do some laboratory tests and x-ray as:
● chest x-ray: it is easy and shows everything in your chest.
● Analysis of blood sample: that gives doctor feedback about your fitness.
●Analysis of mucous sample: you can collect it after a deep cough.
It’s important for knowing the type of bacteria.
● throat swab test: by using cotton for swaying.
There are many other specific tests that are qualified for chronic cough.
Diagnosis of chronic cough in children
The doctor will depend on chest x-ray and spirometry for diagnosis. Also the doctor will ask you and your children some questions as before.
Chronic cough treatment
Treatment for chronic cough depends on the cause of it. Your doctor will give you different medication to treat you.
■ If you are smoking, your doctor will encourage you to stop smoking.
■ If the cause of coughing is environmental conditions, your doctor will advise you to change your lifestyle.
■ If asthma is the cause of coughing, your doctor will give you asthma medication.
■ If the cause of coughing is
Also your doctor will give you some medication to eliminate cough as:
- Increase fluid intake.
- Medication for acid reflux.
Chronic cough treatment home remedies
1- Bee honey
It is very effective in stopping mucus production. Take one teaspoon in the morning.
Attention if you treat kids from cough never give honey to kids under one year.
2- Hot water vapor
When you breathe from hot vapor or from a stem you will moisturize your airways. That decreases coughing especially if you put any calm vaporizer oil as mint oil.
3- Drinking hot drinks
It helps you to be treated easily as it soothes your cough.
4- Ginger raw or drinking
You can eat raw ginger or drink it as a hot drink. Ginger contains purification material that makes relaxation in muscle of airways passage and decreases stress. That all leads to decreased chronic cough.
5- Gargling by salt water
Salt water gargling is effective in relieving sore throats. Also it removes irritant substances that are present in airways.
Should I be worried about a chronic cough?
When should I go to the doctor?
You should rapidly go to the doctor if you notice any of these signs:
- Green color mucus
- Short breathing
- Difficult breathing
- Bloody mucus
- Weight loss
Also you should go to the urgent care if it is chronic cough complications.
You will find these symptoms:
- Disturbance in sleeping.
- Sweating more than before.
How long should cough last after covid?
The cough continues 6 months after covid.
Don’t be careless about chronic coughs any way.It is serious and may lead to risk factors that affect your life.
Treat it rapidly and do everything that helps you to reduce it. Start with home remedies if there is no response and the cough doesn’t stop you should go to the doctor.
How do you contact Family urgent care?
We offer our services in southern Michigan in the cities of Wadhaven and Walled Lake
PHONE Walled Lake : +12484386600
EMAIL : email@example.com
PHONE Woodhaven : +1 734-282-1800
EMAIL : Woodhaven@familyuc.net
Where do you find Family urgent care?
Where is its location?
Address Walled Lake : 1340 commerce Rd walled lake 48390
Address Woodhaven : 21090 Allen Road Woodhaven 48183, Southeast Michigan
Monday – Friday: 8:00 Am – 9:00 Pm
Saturday – Sunday : 8:00 Am – 6:00 Pm