Allergies are more common than you think. Seasonal allergy for example is popular all over the world. one out of 6 is allergic to at least one or 2 substances in the United States.
The allergic reaction could happen to anyone, but people with a family history of allergies are more susceptible.
What is the allergy?
Allergies happened as a result of the immune system’s reaction to a non-harmful substance. Doctors refer to the substance that triggers the immune reaction as Allergon. some people are more sensitive than others, so they may develop more than one type of allergy.
our immune system is programmed to fight strangers such as bacteria, viruses, or even parasites, and fungi. but in case of allergy, your immune system gets a false alarm to stand by and get ready for the fight. then your body will react suddenly, resulting in a severe response to the allergen.
How did Allergies happen?
When your immune system recognizes the allergen it will release antibodies to fight this substance. then these IgE antibodies will release histamine.
Histamine is a chemical that causes all known symptoms of allergies, such as edema or swelling, itching..etc.
What are Substances that often lead to allergy?
There is a wide range of substances that may cause allergy, but some of them are more common as:
- seasonal allergies get popular in spring. it is caused by an extremely fine, powder-like substance called Pollen.
- Dust mites are one of the most causes of allergy, they are very tiny bugs so, we can’t see them without a microscope.
- Mold spores may cause severe allergies, they need moisture or any wet surface to grow inside the house.
- could you imagine that any type of food can be allergic? but nuts for example are causing an allergic reaction and the severity of symptoms vary from one to one.
- Insect stings also can cause a sensitivity reaction, the place around the ting will swallow and the area around it will turn red very fast. do you know that some people may have Anaphylactic shock as a result of a bee or a wasp sting?
- certain medications can cause different stages of allergies. pharmaceutical companies keep that in their mind while manufacturing these medications, and doctors always run sensitivity tests before prescribing them.
- Latex or other materials you touch may lead to allergic reactions.
Why do some people tend to get allergies more than others?
many factors play role in having one allergy or more as:
- Genetic factors, we inherit allergy genes from our family.
- The environmental factor is a game-changer, some allergies happened outdoor or in moist surroundings.
What are the most common symptoms?
- Runny nose, sneezing, and itching.
- Rashes are swelling of any part of the body, such as facial swelling.
- hives and wheezing.
- asthma or Anaphylaxis is a life-threatening symptom, it may cause death if not treated right away.
Diagnosis and testing
the majority of people discover their allergies in their childhood. and if they get diagnosed properly it will be easier for them to manage their allergic reactions and get control of it.
There are different types of tests for allergy diagnosis:
- skin test.
- blood test.
- IgG testing.
- challenge test.
your physician will discuss the best choice for you. some people need to carry allergy shots wherever they go.